Potato Gratin with Smoked Beef, Mushroom and Cheese Sauce
This is how to bake delicious goods in one dish:
- Boil potatoes until tender (peeled or not, as you wish); slice thinly, set aside.
- Saute chopped onion, garlic, your choice of mushroom, and smoked beef. Season with salt, pepper, basil or oregano or whatever you like. Set aside.
- Make cheese sauce: heat some milk, stir in shredded quick melt cheese, let it melt. Thicken with a little cornstarch diluted in a little milk.
- Layer all the prepared ingredients in a buttered baking dish (you could also rub some crushed garlic if you like). Potato slices go in the bottom, top with sauteed mushroom and smoked beef, then pour the cheese sauce (fight the urge to lick your spoon. Or not). You can repeat this 2-3 times to make wonderful layers.
- When you're done with the layering, sprinkle some grated quick melt cheese on top of all. Add some extra seasoning. Now bake them until set and the cheese melt.
- Enjoy while still warm (and finish them before they get cold).