Homemade Strawberry Jam
Despite their attractive color, strawberries are never sweet. I wonder why.
This is the simplest way to make strawberry sauce or jam:
- First, sterilize your jars. This is how to do it.
- Wash 1 kilogram strawberries, remove the stems. Divide the strawberries into two.
- Crush the first half using a hand blender or food processor. It will help releasing the natural pectin so it can thicken.
- Coarsely chop the second half into chunks. Not finely though, we want some large chunks to be visible in our jam.- Put all of it in a pan, add half kilogram sugar. Bring it to the boil on medium heat, then let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Carefully skim any foam off the surface.
- At this point, it is considerably done. Let it cool for about 15 minutes before dividing it into jars. Leave to cool completely before putting the lids, then store them in the refrigerator. The consistency is more like sauce than jam. If you'd like it thicker, let it simmer longer until it reduced, or add some corn starch diluted in a little water to thicken.
- Fresh lemon juice could also help thicken the jam. Add it after you add sugar.
- I kept mine in several small jars, some of it in the freezer for future use, and a couple jars in the refrigerator to be used in the next days up until 1-2 weeks.