Oven-Baked Red Donuts


Remember I bought too much beets for making the last red velvet cake? I thought it would be cute to make donuts with beets. Red donuts! I used my favorite donut recipe, baked potato donut but with some adjustments because unlike potato, beet puree is more liquid. One thing for sure I add so many flour, but without measuring it. So I could only give rough measurements. Always start with the minimum amount, gradually adding more if necessary.

Oven-Baked Red Donuts

Roughly adapted from Sajian Sedap

Ingredients:
300-500 grams bread flour
about 200 grams beet puree + 2 tablespoons orange juice (or 1 tablespoon lemon/lime juice)
25 grams sugar
1 teaspoons instant yeast
1 egg, lightly beaten
25-50 grams margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt
icing sugar for dusting

Methods:
In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and instant yeast until well combine. Add beet puree, stir well. Add egg, start kneading the dough, adding flour if necessary. Use a hand/stand mixer to ease the process. Once the dough has come together, add margarine and salt. Continue kneading until smooth and can easily be formed, not sticky anymore. If the dough still sticks to the hand, keep adding more flour.
Let the dough rest in a warm place until well-risen. I left my dough for about an hour while I picked up my kid from kindergarten. 
In an hour the dough should have doubled. Flatten it, then roll out the dough on a generously floured surface until about 1 cm thick. 
Use a donut cutter to make donut shapes, or let your kid shape it with his/her hands. Line the donuts on a greased cookie sheet with enough spacing to let them rise during baking. 
Preheat oven, let the donuts rest and rise a bit more while waiting for the oven to reach 180 degrees C. 
Bake the donuts for about 10-12 minutes until cooked thoroughly and well-risen. 

Before

After

When eating the donut on its own I could taste a subtle bitterness from the beet. But then I lightly coated them in icing sugar and it's gone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

valentine offer ;)